Before baby, you were all starry-eyed with visions of a picture perfect nursery — a place your kid could call his own. Fast forward a few years, and you’ve experienced your fair share of panic attacks because “WHAT is all over the carpet!?” or “WHO wrote on the wall!?” Kids rooms are meant to be played in and lived in. So why not create a room that encourages creative play? If your youngster’s room is looking a bit, shall we say “bleh,” it’s time to do something about it. Raising a kid might be full of surprises, but it’ll be no surprise that your kid will be delighted with these DIYs that turn boring into brilliant. Watch out room, here we come.
1. Geometric Tasseled Pillows: Anyone up for a game of “can’t touch the floor?” Alright. Then you’re going to need some oversized pillows. Extra points if they’re brightly colored and come with tassels.
2. DIY Drum Stool/Pouf: Give the gift of music. The kids will be delighted.
3. Simple Art Desk: Two boards and metal brackets create an instant wall desk and a spot your little Picasso won’t be able to resist. Here’s a bonus idea: Provide plenty of washi tape so they can proudly display their art on the wall, too.
4. DIY Chalkboard Stool: Chalk-painted stools can be decorated and re-decorated as many times as you like.
5. Colorful Jumbo Floor Pillows: No matter if you’re looking to create a story-time reading nook or a nap-time nook: Giant floor pillows to the rescue.
6. Mountain-scape Mural: Prepare yourself. You’re about to DIY a dream room that you’ll want for yourself. We love how every feature in this minimalistic room supports the adventure theme. 7. DIY Canopy Bed: There’s more than one way to hang a canopy. Use canvas and sticks for a camp-style hangout that any kiddo will love. (via Remodelista)8. DIY Laundry Bag: Laundry bags just got way cooler. Maybe your kids will be inspired to actually use it? (via Design Love Fest)9. DIY Cloud Lamp: Umm, this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. How cool is this DIY cloud light? (via Woonideeen)10. Triangular Wall Storage System: Obviously you’re completely mad about your little love bugs, but the mess they sometimes leave around? Not so much. Help them help you keep your sanity with a place to store away all those odds and ends. (via Brit + Co)11. Here Kitty Kitty Pillow Tutorial: Who knew buffalo plaid and hot pink yarn could create something so cute? (via Smile and Wave)12. DIY Bedside Batman Lamp: It’s time for a hack that’s all superhero and so on-trend. (via Handmade Charlotte)13. Painted Headboard: You’re about to tackle a DIY that you’ll totally want, too. Those geometric shapes are rad. (via SF Girl)14. Washi Tape Instagram Print Wall: Washi tape makes the thriftiest (and trendiest) frame you ever did see. (via 100 Layer Cake)15. Pretty Patterned Wooden Magnets: Get a magnet board and let them hang their favorite pictures, art projects and more with this simple DIY.